Thursday, July 10, 2008

Dolphin Dream Come True!



Okay….rewind. I went to Mexico about two weeks before I visited the primate sanctuary. My cousin lives in Puerto Vallarta where she trains dolphins and I was so excited to see her at work and meet her animal friends.
The dolphins were such beautiful and aware creatures. Dolphins are not only some of the smartest creatures on earth but are also said to have telepathic abilities (this fascinates me). They are also one of the only other species, besides us, that have sex for pleasure, not just procreation, which makes it even more clear to me how truly aware they are.
I had the rare opportunity of being able to sit alone with them and my cousin as she interacted with them in their simple human/dolphin communication way. It was obvious to me that these creatures really do have a massive intelligence. The wonderful opportunity of being in such close contact with them, touching and kissing them, was one that I will never forget.
My cousin always dreamed of working with dolphins and I am proud of her for making her dream come true. However, she knows that this is not truly how she wants to work with them and wants to one day do work that will benefit the dolphins. Although, they are being well taken care of, I believe that they know that they do not belong there, even those who were born there. I again hope that our society can learn soon to stop caging animals for our own amusement and realize that taking animals from the wild is a crime.
Here are some photos and videos of these magnificent creatures. Enjoy!

No comments: