Thursday, January 22, 2009

It's a New Day!

Never before in my life was I interested in watching an inauguration ….or anything to do with one. I don’t even watch T.V. really but on Tuesday I watched the entire days’ events, from the ceremony to the parade straight into the balls. Thirteen hours of it! I felt like I was celebrating a new era along with the whole world! And I think it may have been one of the most emotional days of my life. I must have cried ten times. I loved every minute of it!
After I watched the events with family all day, I went home and turned on a channel with no commentary or voices, only the sounds of the parade with Mr. And Mrs. Obama watching it. Most everyone else had left the viewing stand already but the Obamas stood watching with delighted interest until the very end. Right then a carnival krewe from San Antionio, Texas came through and I watched as the two of them shared a moment. I saw a look in their eyes that proved to me that they are sooooo in love with each other. And I realized, as well as everything else, that we had gained a wonderful role model, a couple who are genuinely in love with one another other.
And the day just kept getting better! The parade was one of the best parts to me of course. It was incredibly diverse. I loved seeing the Special Olympics marching right before the Peace Corps, then hundreds of uniformed service men marching in perfect sinc and later on the Native American representation. The stateliness of it all was just so amazing.
But my very favorite part of the parade was the Gay and Lesbian Band of America. Their band leader was so incredibly flaming! I loved seeing him strutting down the avenue, head held high, marching to the tune of his own drum! I can’t remember seeing someone so proud to be alive! I just burst into tears then because that is when it really hit me…..I knew then that I was witnessing history. It had to be the first time ever that the Gay and Lesbian Band of America had been permitted into a presidential inauguration parade. At that moment it was truly evident that the Obama Administration really would embrace diversity. It was beautiful! And then at the end came NASA and the astronauts in their space suits and I just burst into tears again!
The American dream of, we can accomplish anything, is happening and I believe we have manifested a brilliant leader. When I look at Barrack, I feel like “ I know this man. This man is just like me.” He is really just an average person wanting to live up to the fullest potential and do his best to help humanity. Someone who recognizes the diversity of all people and accepts them for who they are.
I have been singing this song for two days now. The dream that I’ve been dreaming, finally came true! It’s a new day! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHWByjoQrR8
And if you were not inspired enough, go check this out! ? http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1603121/20090120/story.jhtml
I pledge to spend more time to work for the rights of indigenous people and animals. What’s your pledge?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Athena. I watched a most of the Inauguration events from my computer at work. I really enjoyed Dianne Feinstein's introduction. Seeing the LGBA march in the parade was just awesome and they were great! I heard from a friend who was in it that the majorette was not allowed to throw the baton into the air, but his pride in leading the band was a joy to watch. - JJ

Rosemary/ Bird Woman said...

Yes it was! Thanks so much for your thoughts. Peace, R