Monday, January 13, 2020

An Unexpected Healing


-->
We all need healing- even if just from what we have already experienced in this life. But most don’t realize this nor do they understand that through healing ourselves we can also heal our ancestors, our families. 
If you realized that in this life alone your experiences of trauma and pain can also affect your family, you would probably want to do more to heal from those experiences right?
I have been familiar with these beliefs for many years and through ceremony I have done a lot to heal myself. Through ceremony, I have learned that I too am affected by events that happened to my family and ancestors, even those people I did not know existed. Of course, it’s nothing I can prove to you because this was my experience but I have seen great changes in myself from my spiritual healing. 
Recently I had a remarkable experience. I was in Guatemala hanging out with a dear friend and her friend Wendy in her hot tub. I had come to Guatemala with a mild case of bronchitis and still could not kick my cough. 
Wendy asked how long I had had the cough for and I told her a few weeks. She reminded me that sometimes we are sick because we are healing something for our ancestors. She said that the cough meant my throat chakra was probably blocked. We talked some more about our beliefs on the subject and then she asked if anything had happened with an aunt that I was close to recently? “No, I am not especially close with my aunts except one who is an aunt through marriage.”
I could sense that she was an intuitive and was suggesting something that I needed to pay attention to. I went into my head while she and my friend caught up on life. And then I said, “I do have an uncle that died this year that maybe you were perceiving as an aunt? It turns out that he was quite effeminate.”
I had the keen sense that this was exactly who she was thinking of because of what had happened around my Uncle’s death this year. 
Mike was in his 60’s when he passed last summer. He had been estranged from the family for many years, with very little contact with his siblings. He had been married to a woman who he loved dearly and had been by her side as she fought cancer but she had died the year before. He married her a couple of years before that, not even telling his mother or siblings until after their private wedding. I only met her once and it was the only time I had seen Mike in several years. I think that they were both very happy to be together. 
When Mike died, no one knew it. He had not spoken to his family in months. He had been out of work and had no one he was close to. So, his death was only discovered when his landlord realized he had been absent for a while. It had been two and a half weeks since he had collected the mail and that is how long it took for his body to be discovered. He looked as though he had been sleeping on the couch when he died. Unfortunately, his body was so decomposed that the coroner could not determine the cause of death. How sad that he was so estranged from the world that there was no one there to check in on him. Based on some medical records his brother found, we think he might have had a heart condition. I believe he died of a broken heart after his wife died, the only person in the world that he ever loved. 
A few weeks later I went to visit my dad and he pointed to a toolbox that he said was for me from Mike’s apartment. After his body was removed, my dad and his brother and sister went to clean out the apartment. What was discovered painted a picture of him that none of us expected and perhaps is why he was so distant from everyone. When I opened his toolbox, inside was nail polish, dozens of acrylic fingernails, eyelashes, mascara, lipsticks, blush, eye shadows, and makeup brushes- an entire make up kit. My dad said that he had found photographs of him dressed in drag over the years. This evidence and the many many wigs and leather outfits in his closet was enough proof that Mike had probably been a crossdresser. My stepmother had remembered a time in the ’70s when Mike had bought a pair of high heeled, thigh-high silver boots that he was very proud of. But this was all unexpected. 
        I sat in the warm hot tub telling my friends this story and how I thought that Mike had never felt like he could truly be himself. He had to keep this part of himself a secret from us his whole life. It felt like he had never been able to speak about this and that that was somehow linked to my cough and sore throat. As I voiced all of this I also said out loud to Mike that I was sorry he had never been able to talk about this part of himself. I told him that there is no shame in who he is and that I pray he can let go of any shame around it and be free to be fully himself in the next life. I felt myself releasing some of his shame into the warm water. I relaxed and let myself drain any residuals of his pain into the water, that might be left in me. 
        As I was speaking all of this out loud, I could feel my heart open. I could feel my chest releasing phlegm and my shoulders broadening, allowing me to breathe better. Within a few minutes, I felt my breathing become clear and the cough was gone. I knew that I had legitimately understood the message from the universe, through the intuitive, and was able to work through some pain on behalf of Uncle Mike. 
        The next day the cough was completely gone and I could breathe again without any issues returning. It was such a huge lesson in so many ways. I was reminded of just how much or own healing is connected to the healing of our ancestors. I was shown that it does not take a ceremony to be able to heal yourself if you can truly listen to your guidance from Spirit. And that even someone you just met can be an incredible conduit to help you hear your guidance from the universe. 
        And it made me want to learn more about the chakras and what they do for us spiritually. Such wonderful tools to explore, and I have only just begun to tap into this. 
        For my Uncle Mike, “Please know that you are loved no matter what. I hope you are at peace now and free to be truly yourself. I pray that in your next life you do not allow any fear to keep you from this. Thank you also, for helping teach me how to heal myself. Mitakuye Oyasin.”

No comments: