Thursday, August 28, 2008

Working With Wild Animals Native to Georgia





I have more great pictures to share. I never did tell you about how I got started in wildlife rehabilitation. I wanted to work with wild animals for quite a while but never had the time when I lived in New Orleans. So when I came to Atlanta I began thinking a lot more about it until one day it just happened. I found an injured possum in my yard, which I rescued and took to the closest rehabilitator I could find.
From there I discovered AWARE (the Atlanta Wild Animal Rescue Effort) where I volunteered for two years, on and off, helping rescue and rehabilitate wild animals native to Georgia: including possums, squirrels, raccoons, foxes, bobcats, snakes, song birds, bats, and chipmunks among other creatures. I learned so much and enjoyed bottle feeding babies and helping to heal the animals. Of course lots of dirty work cleaning cages comes with this but it is all worth it. When possible the animals would be re released into the wild.
I have not been able to help out much for the past several months but I am finally available again to do rescues for the organization and to help with events. I am planning to get more involved again soon and am also looking for other local organizations where I can accomplish my dream to work with primates as well. These photos are of some baby possums and a bob kitten as well as me with two of the ambassador education owls, Goliath and Owlbert.

No comments: